Saturday, May 5, 2007

Williamsburg and racing...

Kick it! So Williamsburg.... here I am!
I think I mentioned to many of you and on MM and OMP, that I was having a lot of trouble finding a place to stay in VA - both because of the NASCAR race this weekend and the fact that the Queen of England is touring the state of Virginia in celebration of the 400 years of Jamestown. When I found out about the race, I swore a lot and stomped around the house using the F-word many times (... In effect of that, I promise to say some hail mary's or something)...... and I also sent out a notice through myspace, asking if anyone could help me out or knew of any places that I could stay. A guy named Alfred - just like the butler in Batman - wrote me back, mentioning that him and a bunch of racing fans were headed down to Williamsburg to watch the race at Richmond. If I wanted it, they had a hotel room for me and an extra ticket for Friday's race (I swear, half the people I meet are just the coolest mother-fuckers out there... ooops! Another hail mary.... Damn!)...... SO after checking him out and grilling him with questions and emails, turns out that Alfred is just an incredibly stand-up person.... and now I sit, here in Williamsburg, in a great hotel, without the stress of trying to figure out a place to crash for the night..... Mr. Alfred, if you are reading thing - Thank you so much so helping me out... this was really awesome and I had an outstanding time (from what I can remember of it....ha).

When I was younger my dad used to bring my brother and I to some of the races - He was obsessive with NASCAR, traveled to all kinds of tracks with campers and big purple rented buses. They would buy a bunch of beer and smoke lots of weed. He was an Earnhart fan-till-the-end. When Dale died, Dad was so crushed that he locked himself in his bedroom and couldn't go to work for a week. It was crazy - like a little kid losing their biggest hero or something. Anyways, so yesterday afternoon I got to go to my first race at Richmond. I haven't been to a race since I was about 10, I think. And last time I went, I spent most of the time under the stands trying to find cool beer coozies to bring home...... haha..... I was never big on the races.

Last night was a really great experiance though. Met everyone at the bus at 3:30pm (Richmond, as you know, is held under the lights)..... the bus was packed with the redneck-type race fans. The kind who sport their favorite driver t-shirts, with their matching driver's hats, their favorite driver's posters - They are ready to get wasted, ready to watch fast cars, ready to get wasted, and then scream really loudly.... while being wasted.

There were jello shots on the bus, I hung out with Alfred.... One of the guys ..... bought me a JR #8 hat!!!

Anways, we tailgated, I ate a hotdog, introduced myself to everyone so that the party would be like a family get-together. Met a guy with a turkey on his head. I did not get a photo. I will regret that for the rest of my life, oh well. Eventually the race started. We were in the nose-bleed seats..... and when the helicopters flew by, we were at eye level... it was fantastic! From half a mile up, the cars looked like they were doing 60 miles an hr so I decided to walk all the way down to the bottom to see if I could see the drivers as they drove by...... Haha. Yeaaaa, 60 my ass, I couldn't even see the car.....

Woke up this morning, cursing myself for being alive. God I felt crap. - I am such a wimpy drinker these days.

Even half dead, I pulled myself together with some string and some make-up. Sid, my photographer of the day, traveled all the way from Fredricksburg, VA to work with me, which is about two hours from where I am staying..... He works at a jail and has a great habit of breaking out with very random lines from movies and television sitcoms..... he'd be talking, I'd be listening, he'd be talking and all of a sudden would burst out with something like the ".....Oh Gilligan, the Skipper too, the Millionaire, and his Wife!!! The Movie Star, the Professor and Mary Ann, here on Gilligan's Isle." all set to a theme song voice.....

Tomorrow is Newport News, VA
This is one of the photographers that I am lined up for working with...
You can check out his work: He writes me:
"I kid you not. I have been longing to work with you.... I feel like a freshman who just got invited to the senior prom by the hottest girl in school....Oh joy!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Alfred and the gang loved every second of it. Hopefully we can ive you another hangover soon. Enjoy your life, its all we really have.

Stewie Hues said...

Did you have fun at the DISCO? I am pleased that you may use some of the images.

Take care during your journey. Oh you may want to try and shoot by the Roanoke Star.

Holla!

Anonymous said...

You look AMAZING and more no matter what the situation IMO London. You are one talented, ambitious and beautiful woman.

TJ Photography 80's Photog said...

Looking good in NASCAR outfit, especially Dale Jr. and also the Bud Light can! My kind of woman. :)