Thursday, May 10, 2007

Durham, NC and Coon Dogs...

So when I arrived at my Motel 6 address in Durham, NC - let me describe what I saw there: What I saw was an acre of land, hosting of a nest of dumpy-broken down trailers. Scattered around these trailers were a various assortment of car parts - From the looks of it, they seemed to be using the car parts as lawn ornaments? Amidst these slightly odd choice of decorations - Sat an unshaven man, wearing a stained wifebeater, gut poppin out, guzzling a Budweiser. His chair was surrounded by about fifteen empty Bud cans and his four mangy coon dogs.... I wish I had snapped a picture... I want to kick myself for not thinking to do it...

Motel 6 doesn't exist in Durham....

So I broke out my neat little GPS thing that my younger brother bought me for my last birthday (I don't use it often because it has this Loud British lady who tell me to Turn Left, Turn Right, Turn Left. Very demanding, always talking over my roadtrip tunes). The GPS screen gave me lots of tiny hotel icons to choose from. Alas, I ended up at the hotel right nextdoor to my next photographer. It is the first time I've stayed in a really nice hotel since I have been on the road - they gave me SIX towels. Six. You know you are at a fancy place when they give you six towels and the beds smell like a Caribbean island full of tropical flowers. I cranked the heat, got naked, and had a beach party!!!

The photographer in Durham is in the brick business. So he travels all over the US, shooting photo after photo of brick buildings (Schools, Libraries, ect)........ He said it gets pretty boring at times - I believe him.

Although he is very new to shooting models, I just really enjoyed how prepared and eager he was to shoot - photography magazines were all over the table. Before I had arrived, he had already picked out images that inspired him. Most impressive aspect of the shoot? - He had camera gear that I've never seen before! Did you know that there are diffusing flashes with removable color slips? You can diffuse your flash with a hint of color!! Fantastic contraption for someone on the-go...

4 comments:

Jeff said...

"I cranked the heat, got naked, and had a beach party!!!"


Hummmm...my invite musta gotten lost in the mail :)

KC said...

Shit... I forgot to bring my coon dogs and Budwieser to the studio yesterday. There's always next time...

JHS said...

Hi.

Lin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.