Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Socorro to Abq.....

Couchsurfing.... Before I left on this trip, a friend told me about a site called 'couch surfing.com' - I thought it was pretty shady at first, sleeping at stranger's couches. Haha... but then I realized, that I do that all the time with photographers..... So this site, couchsurfing, is basically, dedicated to very interesting people who love to travel... When traveling, they stay on couches all over the world (US, Kenya, Brazil, Spain, ect) When they are not traveling, they open their homes to other travelers. Matt and I decided to give it a try...Save some money, meet some people. Abq stayed with a guy named Benny. We took a chance on him, he took a chance with us (Matt and I have no couchsurfing references). What a great first experience.... Benny is a cross country biker, saving the world by peeing in his compost.. First night we got in, he took us to a ska show... It was great, Matt started dancing like a spastic thing. Benny was letting Matt tango with him. Benny even gave his bedroom to us and HE slept on the couch. We attended a couchsurfing get-together in Abq.... Benny, his girlfriend, Matthew and I all attended. We met characters from all over the state and the surfers staying with them.... It was quite the night, indeed. "Remember, Couchsurfing is a community" There is a lot of talk about Burning Man. I am curious and I am thinking about detouring. I want to go reaaaallllly bad. While in ABQ a photographer named Kenneth took us in his little four-man plane across NM - He let me fly his plane for awhile. Kenneth was a good guide, both on the ground and in the air - we learned a lot about the area. Who knew that NM had the most lava flows in the US a few hundred years ago? And who knew that the Spanish chopped off the Pueblo Indian's ankles because they revolted? After flying, Kenneth and I went out shooting in this GIANT pine woods-place. Matt was supposed to be helping with the shoot but he just could not sit in one place. He kept going off on adventures in the forest a disappearing for hours at a time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ha! Glad you guys had fun out here. Best of luck on your journeys. And damn you Matthew for getting me hooked on Yogi tea!