Sunday, June 27, 2010

Blame game - ATM Card

Arrived at the Fort Laud Airport earlier than expected, Oh how I love the convenience of the Self-Check-In-Kiosk, no hassle, no people, no problems! "Please insert a credit or debit card to locate your flight information" Went to pull out my ATM card.... and..... it... was.... not.... there!?  Weird?  Dug around in my purse for a minute, trying not to notice the line of people burning me with their impatient eyeballs.... I tore through receipts, old gum wrappers, a pile of makeup brushes at the bottom of my purse - No ATM card.....

First call was to the Bank - They cancelled my card, re-issued me a new one.

Second call was to the Fraud Department - They informed me that over the course of two days, $580 had been pulled out of my Bank Account... First transaction happened in Ft Laud, second in Jacksonville, third in North Carolina, and a fourth in Richmond VA... They asked me if I had any idea who it could have been, any information I could give them would be used in the investigation....

It was either my Ex or the lady who was hanging out at our campsite on Sunday night.

Regardless of who took it - No one but Patrick and I know my ATM pin number... Have any of you ever heard of someone taking cash out without a pin?  Is that even possible.... I am confused

11 comments:

Tim said...

Could have been used as a credit card where you sign the receipt. You don't need a pin to do that.

Anonymous said...

places like walgreens and rite-aid and all that shit will let you run an atm card as credit with a purchase and get cash back, and all you have to do is scribble your jack footwiener on the touchy-screen. you can get like up to 200 dollars cash back last time i checked. if the transactions didnt come from a walgreens or something, then its... uhhh... hobo magic?

Ken said...

London..there are theft/fraudulent rights that would apply in this situation.Once the investigation shows that your pin was not used, the charge will be asessed to the vendor or bank. You did the best thing by reporting the issue right away. I have an extensive financial back ground so you can trust my feedback. Take care. Ken

Raj said...

wish its not jay....

Unknown said...

You'd need a PIN to run the charges as debits. However, you can also use it as a credit card to bypass that step.

Dubbayoo said...

When i worked for a bank there was definitely no way to use a card without a pin number to withdraw cash. No way no how. You can use a debit card as a credit card; instead of giving a pin you sign for the transaction. You can't get direct cash that way though. Perhaps the pin # is something that jay would recognize as meaningful. The most popular PIN # used to be the combo that spelled LOVE.

Anonymous said...

yes, most of debit card could be used as credit card without pins. But since that transaction will be a credit transactions - they could be rolled back (not sure but it always for credit card) if you report about stolen/lost card. At any case, as soon you report about lost/stolen card - better.

Anonymous said...

It's possible you used a bank machine with a skimmer on it.

Anonymous said...

It's possible you used a bank machine with a skimmer on it.

London Andrews said...

The pin number is a number that no one would guess... definitely not a word of any kind. Jay could not have my pin because I changed my pin when I moved to Cleveland Ohio in 2009...

And I would say that a skimmer was possible - but the last time I used the card, I was in Austin TX - so it wouldn't make sense that the card was used in Florida to Richmond....

I don't know - for some reason, the Bank wrote me this morning and told me that the claim has been denied and that the $580 won't come back to me... I am so upset. My card was STOLEN, used in Richmond VA when I was in an AIRPORT in Ft Laud... I am pissed! On what grounds can they do that? Arrest someone and give me my money back, bastards...

Logan said...

A little tip: When you type in your pin, put your hand over the keyboard. There was a news story that said these bastards often put tiny hidden portable cameras overhead and can get a bird's eye view of you typing you pin. Combined with a skimming device, you (or the bank) would never realize anything's wrong until it's too late. You just can't assume the bank is going to protect you fully, you have to be totally proactive when it comes to your privacy. Also keep checking to be sure no one's hovering around. Good luck and I hope justice prevails for you.