Monday, August 10, 2009

Perrydactyl - Meth Motel

If you read my twitter posts, you are probably hip to the fact that I now have a five-month old kitten on the roadtrip... 

 Huzzah? 

 Not sure how it happened exactly. Jesus.... this has already been a whirlwind trip and I have only been on the road for three days! Left Cleveland late (... as usual... my whole life is Late). Landed myself in Dayton Ohio overnight. Picked the cheapest, seediest motels-of-all-motels ($19.99 a night...) Closed-office, a small notebook sign hanging on the window, "Please knock on door 195 for a room or service. Thank you. Management." A man with one arm answered the door, his wife was all wrapped up in bed sleeping. Bought the Motel five months prior. Key in hand, I walked to my room, passing a bunch of young kids smoking meth (burning plastic and bathroom chemicals smell - ewww). My neighbors were having sex so loudly, I thought they would bust through the drywall. Also noticed a couple kitties hanging around the parking lot. The meth kids were trying to burn one of the kitten's whiskers off with a lighter - Being the way that I am, I just walked right by the kids and without saying a word, I grabbed the kitten out of their hands and walked right back into my room. 

I ended up inviting all the kittens in a for a kitten party! I lured them in with pizza. Three of the kittens were feral and skittish -They wanted Out. The other two were friendlier.  One kitten cuddled up with me on the bed and the other one slept in the bathtub... I seriously fell in love with the one that slept next to me all night. Purring, cuddly, ball of fur. Kept sneaking closer to me. 3am - Woke up to my nextdoor neighbors bile-puking - gut wrenching - so so loud - spattering all over the floor. Both the kittens were meowing at the door so I let them out.

Next morning, opened the door of my room - And there was that adorable kitten - Sitting on the hood of the mustang.

Come on!? What was I supposed to do!? I wanted to save them all but it would have been impossible. So many stray cats in Dayton. Before loading the kitten into my car, I asked the owner of the Motel if I was OK if I took her. He said, "Yes. Please give her a good home" and handed me a baggy of cat food. I didn't want to tell him that I don't have a home. 

Originally my plan was to find her a good home on the road. Maybe with a photographer or another model. But the more that I get to know her, I think that she can handle the roadtrip life. She loves everyone - great with the litterbox - super chill. Motel 6 is cat friendly! - Patrick always joked that the first animal we adopted would be called, "Perrydactyl" (god knows why he chose that name).... so now - we have a five month old kitten named Perrydactyl - Perry for short. This changes SO much. I cannot even explain to you. I now need to plan pet-friendly places for every city that I stop at for modeling. 

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Teach it to walk on a leash and taking it to burning man!

Maybe he can hang out on your neck like a purring boa?

Kev said...

Perrydactyl looks like a great addition to your traveling family.

I would have a vet look at him as soon as possible, strays can have medical problems that aren't immediately obvious, and it doesn't sound as though he was in the best environment.

And Austin's a great place for cats.

PD said...

Perrydactyl. Helluva name. Things happen for a reason. Maybe you didn't find him, but he found you? He was having such a good time, he didn't want it to end. Well, the more, the merrier. I'd be willing to bet that cart-boy is still smiling.HA! You are passing through Kentucky, & Tennessee, you gotta have a couple Bourbons & Tennessee Whiskeys for us. And yes, there is a difference. Whats a better way to start a road trip, than with a cute surprize?
:)

Paul said...

All of my animals but for my pug have been found animals. When it picks you it is over...you have no control or ability to say no...the kitten picked YOU! All will be fine for BM et. al.

BTW...I was a cart boy once...that had to make his day/week/month..it would have mine!

London Andrews said...

I WISH I could bring Perry to Burning Man! Unfortunately they do not allow pets there... which, actually, is probably a positive thing... because 1) It would turn the playa into a giant litterbox and ruin the whole Leave No Trace.... and 2) That dust would kill any animal after a week of being that close to the ground without a mask on..... that dust gets everywhere.... you get the Burner cough by the end of the week....

Perry is pretty healthy. At the motel, they fed him cat food - so he wasn't living off garbage or mice or anything like that (which cuts down on a lot of diseases)... Since he wasn't on a farm or in the country, not so worried about ticks - but definitely worried about mites and worms and all the regular kitty-things. Once we settle in, I will have him him neutered and get him a check-up... and all that jazz...

I did find out the other day that he is absolutely terrified of dogs... Totally unlike himself, he bit me on my hand when a photographers dog got too close... it is super infected.... Pat keeps making me clean it... I figure in a few days it will clear up...

Hahaha... that cart boy was the bestest...! Triple A did not understand how horrific the situation was - the manager was worried about liability... here is this cart-boy, all upset that I am upset... and he saved the day.... I am going to send him a gift card or something.... he is fantastic. He is his own Superman...ha

doctor e said...

I keep getting sign after sign that I need to get a cat. This post is just one more....

Safe travels, my friend.

E.

SJRene said...

Ah, to be a cart boy and rescue a lady in distress..... The kind of cart boy that happens to have a slim jim with him probably just points to a past of Boy Scout preparedness, with a streak of animal lover. Enjoy Perry! Cats come to us in these ways - you are both lucky!
Rene

Deanna said...

That is so awesome that hes so good on the road. Like I said on twitter, my cat was suprisingly amazing when my boyfriend and I took a roadtrip to Massachusets and got used to using the litterbox in the car so fast, it was crazy! I hope everything goes well and when I get down to Austin Ill be happy to babysit the little cutie if you ever need it!
:)