Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Heaven on Earth

Always have been a big fan of Hot Springs. You cannot really go wrong with them - they are usually placed somewhere totally unbelievably gorgeous, surrounded by half-naked people, all soaking in this constantly flowing water source from deep within the earth. I had mentioned to a photographer a few days ago that I was going to check out some hot springs while traveling through Northern Cali - He recommended a spring called Orr. Looking up Orr, I came across the familiar name of Harbin.... It jogged my memory, that last year I had promised a Burner that if I ever returned to California that I would take the trip to Harbin.... So I did decide on Harbin.... And I have never been to a place so calming and spiritual ... As soon as I pulled up and started to set up my tent - someone was coming over to help me. The grounds are a utopia...  free yoga in the morning, chanting classes, free drumming circles, a grocery store, a small vegan cafe, and a kitchen where anyone can go to cook their own food.... My tent was popped next to a bubbling stream.... All the animals around Harbin are not frightened by humans, not even the wild turkeys... which I woke up to the next morning popping their heads into my tent. I guess you feel like you are in a naked Disney movie.... yes, that is it. Food from the trees, animals following you around, people all smiling and warm.... I made a new friend, his name is Ethan - he promised me that he would do nothing but be my friend for as long as I wanted - Which is exactly what he did. He invited me to come back to Berkley with him and share his crop of raspberries. I wish my schedule was not quite as busy because it would have been a nice back trek -but alas - Berkley is not an option right now, lots of work in Portland. Talking to him fixed something in me, does that sounds weird? Perhaps it was the springs mixed with good conversation, but I definitely feel a lot better than I did a few days ago - Still cannot believe that he has been attending Burning Man for over fourteen years (it would be sixteen if he did not miss a year).

It is so hard for me to trust men. I am happy that I have Ethan as a buddy.

3 comments:

Mary Wano said...

Isn't it amazing how one choice can alter or enhance your life, and create new opportunities?

Harbin looks beautiful. I can't wait until I have the freedom to explore that part of the country. :)

London Andrews said...

You know, if I did not feel so single - I probably would have skipped half the things that I have done in the past week..... You'd be amazed at what I have accomplished this week, I feel like it has been more than I have done in the past 6 months.... It is amazing. I hope you get to check out Northern California - there is no other place like it anywhere in the USA.... it is its own place.

Timeflow said...

We'll be heading up the Pacific Coast Highway from Irvine, to San Francisco and on and up to Mt Shasta with family, dad, aunt and uncle in only two more weeks. We can't wait! This really inspires me to upgrade my camera after 5 years with an S45... looking at Canon 40D, also Nikon D80. I was amazed when I saw your photos. Mt Shasta is stunning. Last year we spent a week driving through Yosemite and stayed a night in Lone Pine, then Death Valley. That state has it all. Perhaps one day California will be home. It's the crown jewel. I'm defintely working on it!