Monday, September 28, 2009

Harbin/LA

After exchanging emails with our neighbors at Burning Man - Patrick, Matthew, and I packed into the car to enjoy our three hour line out of the festival. Matt, who was sleeping before he climbed into the backseat, quickly disappeared behind the bike tires, the sleeping bags, the camping equipment....

Passing through Sacramento - I saw my first brush fire in California. Sky darkened by smoke, helicopters circling overhead, dumping water. As we made our way to Harbin Hot Springs, I was sure that we were going to drive head-first into the blaze - Every switchback in the road had me digging my nails into the passenger seat....

I have written about Harbin - I will do so again. This place is a total gem. Set back from the town, built on the side of a mountain - a spiritual retreat for the naturalist soul. Many full-time residents live at Harbin - Many full-time residents teach different classes on New Age Thought through dance, movement, and community. Matt and I attended a fantastic Brazilian dance one night with artists visiting from South America... Barefoot feet leaping, pounding across the floor, bodies undulating in a smokey darkness, collapsing in exhaustion. Community. Harbin has always been a love of mine since I stumbled across it last year... Matthew was so blown away. I see Harbin as being a staple in our lives for a very long time...


Once I hit LA, it was back to work - Left Matthew and Patrick with my good buddy Denny, who is a photographer, in Pasadena. Ha. Seriously - Denny is such an awesome dude.... As soon as we walked into his home, he handed us each a homebrew beer and challenged everyone to a blowdart competition. Spent a lot of time working while I was in Los Angeles but I cannot explain to you, how nice it was to come home to a house full of people that I love. Last day in LA, Denny photographed Patrick, Matthew, and I together with his large-format camera.... He printed it on cyanotype. Great photo - Matt is skinny, Patrick is comfortable hanging out in boxers, and I am wearing someone else's underwear.... ha... If I was not a topless shot, it would make the perfect roadtrip card to send home to the family....

Photos: San Fran with John Grey and Kimmery

No comments: