Saturday, April 3, 2010

Come Fly With Me!

A model anonymously asked me on Formspring, if I would help her find the cheapest way to fly - Since I have never written about an entry on budget traveling before, I thought this would be a great time to elaborate....

When it comes to purchasing your ticket, the sooner the better. Alyways try to book for Tues or Wed when less people are traveling and prices are significantly less expensive. Also, red-eye flights are supersuper cheap (although I never get any sleep on them... )

When booking, I always start with Cheaptickets.com (my fav) - Other sites to check out: Bing.com, Kayak.com, Orbitz.com (blog readers feel free to post your links in the comments section) I punch in bunch of different cities "close" to my destination. I, then, rent a car and drive a few hours! Example.... if I book work in Miami, I almost always fly into Tampa because it is cheaper and I save $150....Also, if your dates are flexible... You can save a $100 if you fly out a day earlier/later than planned...

Note: While Bing, Orbitz, Cheaptickets are wonderful sites - Be sure to book your actual tickets through the airline's website if possible - It will knock off an additional $20-30 of tax and surcharge that you would have gotten booking through the 2nd party site...

Military usually gets a discount through most airlines...

And if you are a student - You can sometimes find discounted airfare on STA.com. This is the Student Travel Association.

Baggage! Keep in mind, almost all airlines charge you for checked baggage these days (blah!) AND they have penalty fees if your bag is over 50lbs (blah!) - Airlines that charge: Continental, Delta, AirTran, American Airlines. Usually $25-30 a bag. Happy companies that allow your first checked bag for free! Jetblue and Southwest! Whoo!.... Sooo if you are pinching pennies and a Delta flight comes up for $140 and a Jetblue flight for $160.... Jetblue will save you some cash (and they serve Dunkin Donuts coffee and bad daytime TV at the same time! Mmmm)...

Frequent Flyer programs are your friend... almost all the airlines have free miles, sign up for them! I get two or three free flights a year!

If you want to check out all the cheap flights near your airport, check out Fare Compare! It is a website where you type in the city you fly from - and it gives you a twitter feed to follow which shows the discounted fares from that airport. In my case, I'm likely to fly out of Austin Airport, so I use the AUS feed.

If you can think of any other ways to save money while flying, let me know! I am hoping this will be an entry for anyone who is thinking about flying on a budget... : )

6 comments:

PD said...

Thanks for the tips, & bringing the nice weather back with you.
=)

Moe says said...

are you serious ?

if you want to travel for FREE.. all you have to do is to show up in the airways office dress that one!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_n2I_E-qEdW8/S7fELedtCzI/AAAAAAAADOI/dk9h67r3Tdo/s1600/img2_lg.jpg


believe me you will get a world tour for free

Chris Taylor said...

One suggestion I have heard from frequent travellers is to courier your clothes from your house to the destination hotel in advance of your departure. (I suppose you would have to let the hotel know what's arriving, too.) Although they use this strategy to avoid the airline losing or delaying the luggage, I imagine it would work just as well for clothing in excess of the two-checked-bag limit.


I have not used the service myself, but there are also companies that will do this sort of thing (plus cleaning) for you, like The Traveler's Closet.

Tim said...

Good lord! you have an incredible figure! Anyway you can make the second picture enlarge when you click on it?

PoCrizzle said...

thanks for the info...great pics as well...

semi234 said...

Just swinging by to say I love the choice of photos...but especially the first one.